Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Chapter 6 reflection

In chapter 6 I learned about input and output devices. The most common input devices are the keyboard and the mouse but there are others as scanners, digital cameras, and digital tables, pen input, and touch screen. One input is flat-bed scanner that is the most versatile; it is able to scan different sizes of bound. The higher dots per inch (dpi) the scanner has, the higher quality of image it capture. Also it is important to know about ports, those are points of connection between a computer system and its peripherals. If I want to buy a new scanner I most to be sure the connections is the same as my computer. Another input is a digital camera that can varies in capacity of storage media. These cameras can take pictures and also videos, and we can download it in our computer. The graphics table also called digitizer is used to draw diagrams or create artwork. The touch screen is a computer monitor screen that responds to human touch. It is quick and easy and it is good for pre-readers and special students. The output devices are the projectors, scan converter, speakers, and headphones. The data projector can display a large and bright images and videos across a classroom. There are also digital technologies for the classroom as wireless devices, smart phones, mini-laptops, portable storage and e-books that helps the teaching and learning in school. Each of these devices has an important role in teaching and learning.
I read, "Why I hate Interactive White Boards" and I think that the use of White Boards in the classroom depends on the teacher. There are some teachers who are not very knowledgeable of technology and prefer to use these boards. For example, my history professor at the College told us he did not know how to use a DVD player, projector, cell phone, computers, and anything else concerning the new technology, and was too old to start learning. So in classes he use only the White board to write notes and we just copy it. If for any reason a student would miss his class, he or she had to call the teacher's house and leave the message with his wife. I think the White boards is not the best thing teachers can use in classroom compared with the new technology that makes easier the teaching and learning. But if the teachers do not know how to use the technology, the White board is one of the few options they have to teach.
I also read “One Teacher, One Smart phone” and I think Droid X, Picasa, Evernote, Ustream, and Dropbox are so helpful for teachers today’s day. Those programs make easier the communication between teachers and students, and the comprehension of the lessons. I think is important every teacher know how to use new programs, that way they can find new strategies to teach their students.

1 comment:

  1. There is a big difference between using a tool and using a tool to help learning happen. I don't want you to think that using an IWB is necessarily bad, just very difficult (in my opinion) to use it in a way to foster learning differently than the tools we already use.

    I love being able to use my phone in school. I took a video of a third grade class singing and put it on the blog and had over 25 responses! That wouldn't have happened last year when I didn't have a smart phone.

    ReplyDelete